Release 7.0 updates theÂ D. melanogaster genome to 5.1 annotation and other genome annotation sources have been re-mapped. GO enrichment and KEGG pathway viewers have been added to the gene Bag Details page.
- UPDATE – TheÂ D. melanogaster genome has been updated to annotation version 5.1. Data from DrosDel, FlyReg, REDfly and the microarray tiling path have been re-mapped usingÂ USCS LiftOver.
- NEW – UniProt keywords (e.g. Acetylation, Sulfate transport) and protein features (e.g. HELIX, DNA_BIND) have been added.
- NEW – KEGG pathway information added forÂ D. melanogaster.
- NEW – FlyAtlas now has data for three more tissues – larval fat body, larval tubule and male accessory gland.
- UPDATE – InParanoid orthologues have been updated to a release from January 2007.
- UPDATE – Four more D. melanogaster RNAi screens added from the DRSC the RNAi aspect.
- UPDATE GO annotation, protein-protein interactions and UniProt protein data are all updated to recent releases.
- FIX – Missing protein structure data has been added, protein structures can now be viewed with JMol again.
- FIX – Missing protein interaction detection method has been replaced.
- FIX – Missing INDAC oligo sequences added.
- User Interface
- FIX -Drosophila gene names now work in the quick search box, a number of minor problems with quick search have been fixed.
- NEW – The trail (e.g. Query -> Results -> Gene) has been improved for easy navigation between queries, results, and details pages.
- NEW – GO enrichment widget on the gene Bag Details page. For the genes in the bag this lists the number of genes with a particular GO term and a p-value which is the probability that this number of genes were annotated with the GO term by chance, given the abundance of the GO term in a reference population.
- NEW – KEGG pathway widget on the gene Bag Details page. This shows the number of genes in the bag that are associated with a particular KEGG pathway, links give the list of genes and more information about the pathway.
- UPDATE – The constraint editor pane of the QueryBuilder has been made clearer.
- NEW – import query from XML link added to the FlyMine home page.
FlyMine 6.1 contains a major overhaul of the way bags are handled. Bags can now only contain actual objects rather than identifiers or symbols. This means that any object in a bag has already been found in FlyMine which should reduce confusion. A sophisticated bag upload system has been added to aid in creating bags from external lists of identifiers.
PLEASE NOTE – most saved user content is automatically upgraded between FlyMine releases. In this case it was not possible to port some types of bags. These are still available in the 6.0 archive, please contact support [at] flymine.org if you have any queries about transferring bags.
Bags also now have a type (class) assigned to them – for example Gene, Protein, GOTerm. This means that when editing a constraint in a template query only bags of the correct type will be listed – so if the template requires you to enter a Gene identifier the bags dropdown will list any Gene bags in your profile. The same is true when creating/editing a query in the QueryBuilder, just add a constraint on the identifier, name, etc of a class and you will see available bags.
The ‘Bags’ page in MyMine (select ‘Bags’ or ‘MyMine’ from the top menu bar) now allows you to paste in a list of identifiers and select a type for the new bag. The input can be a mixture of different identifier types, for example if you wish to create a bag ofÂ Drosophilagenes if can be a mixture of CGxx, FBgnxx and symbols. In the case where an object can’t be found to that matches a particular input identifier, FlyMine will attempt to help. For example if the input list contains a UniProt protein identifier, but you choose to make a gene bag, the website will attempt to find a related gene. Any matches found in this way will be reported for you to choose which are added to your bag.
As an example, when creating a Gene bag from these identifiers: zen CG2328 FBgn0015379 Q8IML9_DROME unknown_name FlyMine will find a gene for each of the first three identifiers and find the gene for the Q8IML9_DROME protein. The “unknown_name” will be reported as not found.
Also new are bag details pages. These are accessible for any of your saved bags in the ‘Bags’ tab of MyMine. They have a similar layout to object details pages but run templates for all objects in your page. On the page for gene bags is the first of many ‘widgets’ we plan to add for a viewing and analysis of data in bags. Currently there a widget that graphs the genes from a bag that are over/under expressed in different tissues according to the FlyAtlas data set (www.flyatlas.org). Note that clicking on any of the bars in this graph allows you to create a new bag of genes in that category. More functionality will be available on these pages in release 7.0/
We apologise for the service interruption today. Our server suffered a hardware failure at 4pm GMT, which has now been fixed.
FlyMine 6.0 adds data from sevenÂ Dropsophila RNAi screens from the DRSC, microarray-based gene expression data from FlyAtlas and Transcriptional cis-regulatory modules (CRMs) from REDfly. Template queries have a new, succinct naming scheme and identifiers/names in results tables are now links to object details pages. Other data sources have been updated/added and there are numerous interface improvements.
NOTE – from release 6.0 FlyMine does not support saved bags of objects. User’s object bags have not been ported to release 6.0 but can still be retrieved from the release 5.0 archive. If any user wishes to use information from old object bags we recommend exporting from 5.0 as a list of appropriate identifiers and uploading to release 6.0. Please contact us if you require any help with this. All other saved information has been transferred to release 6.0.
An upcoming release of FlyMine will introduce a new system for uploading and managing bags of data.
- NEW – Microarray-based gene expression data forÂ D. melanogaster from FlyAtlas.
- NEW – High-throughput cell-based RNAi screens from theÂ Drosophila RNAi Screening Center.
- NEW – Transcriptional cis-regulatory modules (CRMs) forÂ D. melanogaster from REDfly.
- NEW – Probe sets from the Affymetrix GeneChip Drosophila Genome 2.0 Array.
- NEW – Syntenic regions betweenÂ D. melanogaster andÂ D. pseudoobscura.
- NEW – Orthologues and GO annotation forÂ S. pombe andÂ P. falciparum.
- NEW – Anatomy ontology forÂ Drosophila.
- UPDATE -Â D. melanogaster genome annotation updated to version 4.3.
- UPDATE – UniProt protein data is now at version 8.9.
- UPDATE – Worm RNAi data from WormBase 30th September 2006.
- UPDATE -Â D. melanogaster BACs are now loaded.
- UPDATE – Protein fragments from UniProt are now identified by an isFragment true/false attribute.
- UPDATE – Proteins now have a length (in amino acids) and molecularWeight (in Daltons).
- FIX – Protein interaction confidence scores restored.
- FIX – PCRProducts now reference the TilingPathSpan they create.
- FIX – Some unpublished microarray experiments have been removed.
- User Interface
- NEW – Names and identifiers in results tables now link to object details pages.
- NEW – Template names have been changed so that they now have a short name and a longer description. The short name is the main name and is displayed on the aspect pages, template search results and the object details pages. This shorter name has the format ‘query starting point(s)’ –> ‘query output’ and allows easier scanning of templates to find the one required. The longer description can be viewed when the template form is accessed.
- NEW – When running a template query the title and description is displayed above the results.
- NEW – The trail now includes a ‘Query’ link back to the template or Query Builder, i.e. now ‘Query -> Results’.
- UPDATE – It is no longer possible to create bags of objects from results or upload.
- UPDATE – Chromosomal locations are displayed in a more compact format (e.g. 2R:1598168-1676472).
- UPDATE – ‘History’ has been renamed to ‘My Mine’ and the layout improved.
- improved query and template XML import/export options.
- added a ‘Change Password’ tab.
- bag listing and upload pages have been combined.
- FIX – Searches in bags of strings are no longer case sensitive.
- FIX – After running a template query ‘Current Query’ will now return to the template form instead of the Query Builder page.
- FIX – To address a performance issue bag size is limited to 100 entries unless you are logged in (when the limit is much higher).
- There are no changes to tools available in release 6.0.
- Known issues
- There are currently no known issues with data in release 6.0.
FlyMine is looking for an experineced biologist to join the team on part-time maternity cover.Â More Information.
A joint FlyMine/FlyBase workshop will held on Thursday 23rd November in the Department of Genetics, Cambridge University. For more information and booking please seeÂ workshop information.
The FlyMineÂ tutorials have now been updated. Tutorials on using the QueryBuilder, working with bags and building your own templates have been added.