A large part of working in open source and science is sharing what you do with others – it’s not just about code and papers. We have quite a bit going on and coming up that we’d like to share and get your ideas about.
Community outreach calls
We’ll experimentally be trialling a community outreach call on December 7th at 5PM GMT. This happens at the same time as our normal developer call usually would, but we’re specifically focusing on community members and ways to communicate and help them out. It will not have a focus on technical issues or code.
Developers are still entirely welcome to come along, but please encourage your curators, enthusiastic users, and outreach people to come along too! Agenda
Open outreach repo on GitHub
We’ve created a GitHub repository dedicated to outreach-related topics. The idea is to take discussions out to the open about what we’re doing so others can chime in and/or re-use or work. Examples include:
- InterMine Publications – tell us about them! – Dave Clements has already kindly shared his story about how Galaxy curates publications in this discussion! Thanks Dave!
- Swag! What do we want? InterMine socks? Mugs? More fancy stickers? Other? all the cool kids have stickers, but what else do we want?
- I’m a Scientist, Get Me Out Of Here! – a fun way to do outreach aimed at school age students. (Yo’s note: I’ve survived round one of evictions in the Neptunium Zone. Wish me luck!)
Science Festival – March 2018
We’ll be participating in the Cambridge Science Festival, teaching about better data enabling better science. The basic idea is teach this through gameplay with puzzles, rewarded with candy and stickers. Do you have kids who might be willing to playtest our ideas? Let us know!
Webinars and tutorials
We’ve done workshops in person, we did a developer workshop: we’d like to try something online this time! What formats interest you / your users the most?
- A series of short 5-minute-ish webinars covering various topics
- A longer training session, covering querying InterMine via website and/or API? Perl, Python or R?
- Other? Share your feelings in a comment, contact us, or add to the GitHub issue
- Maybe you’d like to volunteer to run one!
Google Summer of Code
Do you have an idea for a fun InterMine project that would only take a couple of months? Or maybe you would like to mentor a project over the summer? We had a great time during GSoC this year, and we’re planning to apply to do it again next year. Interested? More info on GitHub.
Rachel’s world tour of the UK
As part of the upcoming ISA-InterMine cloud grant, Rachel will be visiting bioinformatics cores and labs to try and solicit use-cases from people who are working with biological data right at the front. Want to help our or invite us to your lab? Get in touch.
Come tell our followers about the awesome thing InterMine thing you just did. A conference? a talk? a new features or exciting dataset in your mine? We’d love to be the platform for your voice!